5 Negotiation Tactics That Kill a Home Sale
Negotiation is a subtle art in real estate, but skilled negotiators like the team of agents on the Scott Farnan Team at Berkshire Hathaway Home Services, Fox & Roach Realtors, can usually find some common ground that satisfies all parties. On the other hand, using the wrong negotiation tactics or going it alone can sink a deal pretty quickly. Here are five negotiation tactics home buyers should avoid:
1. Lowball offers: Going far below market value when you make an offer damages your credibility as a buyer and can be insulting to the seller. The seller has a range in mind that they’ll accept, and if you’re not even approaching the low end of that range, they won’t even consider the offer.
2. Incremental negotiations: Don’t continue to go back to the seller with small increases in your offer ($1,000 or less). The constant back-and-forth can grow tiresome and lead the seller to consider other opportunities.
3. “Take it or leave it”: Try not to draw a line in the sand with your initial offer. The seller can get defensive and consider other offers if you immediately show that you’re unwilling to budge. Even if it’s true, don’t make a show of it.
4. Nitpicking after inspection: Obviously if inspection reveals a major issue, it should be factored into the final sale price. But insisting on a lower price for every minor repair can put negotiations in a stalemate.
5. Asking for more, more, more: Some buyers will request that the sellers throw in add-ons like furniture or appliances that weren’t included in the listing. Try to avoid giving the seller a reason to build up resentment and think that you’re being greedy.
If you live in Delaware or Pennsylvania and find yourself in need of a professional realtor skilled at buying, selling and negotiating real estate the Scott Farnan Team at Berkshire Hathaway Home Services, Fox & Roach REALTORS® is here to help. The Farnan team can answer questions on staging and closing to home inspections and what repairs are required to sell, The Scott Farnan Team offers clients over 25-years of real estate and client services experience, all with the indelible backing of Berkshire Hathaway Home Services, a perennial leader, Nation-wide, in home and commercial real estate. The Farnan team is prepared to guide you through the buying and/or selling process, connect you with trusted partners and aim to reducing the levels of stress that typically come with buying and selling a home. Contact us today to get started or search our current listings.